HTML

>

Tuesday 17 December 2013

Parts of Speech Table

Parts of Speech Table

This is a summary of the 8 parts of speech*. You can find more detail if you click on each part of speech.
part of speechfunction or "job"example wordsexample sentences
Verbaction or state(to) be, have, do, like, work, sing, can, mustEnglishClub.com is a web site. Ilike EnglishClub.com.
Nounthing or personpen, dog, work, music, town, London, teacher, JohnThis is my dog. He lives in myhouse. We live in London.
Adjectivedescribes a nouna/an, the, 2, some, good, big, red, well, interestingI have two dogs. My dogs are big. I like big dogs.
Adverbdescribes a verb, adjective or adverbquickly, silently, well, badly, very, reallyMy dog eats quickly. When he isvery hungry, he eats reallyquickly.
Pronounreplaces a nounI, you, he, she, someTara is Indian. She is beautiful.
Prepositionlinks a noun to another wordto, at, after, on, butWe went to school on Monday.
Conjunctionjoins clauses or sentences or wordsand, but, whenI like dogs and I like cats. I like cats and dogs. I like dogs but I don't like cats.
Interjectionshort exclamation, sometimes inserted into a sentenceoh!, ouch!, hi!, wellOuch! That hurts! Hi! How are you? Well, I don't know.
* Some grammar sources categorize

No comments:

Post a Comment